In the summer of 1795 when Protestant Orange Boys (a club started in Tyrone in 1792 by James Wilson - a near relative of Daniel Winter) heard of the Defenders plan to burn all the Protestant homes in the Richhill, Kilmore and Loughgall districts. The Protestants prepared themselves for action and they congregated from various quarters to a position at the Diamond.
The early hours of 21st September 1795 was the climax of fighting. From opposite hills overlooking the Diamond Crossroads, the Defenders were on Faughart Hill (Tullymore) and the Orange Boys and their allies on the Diamond Hill, (Grangemore) the fighting began.
A farmer named Daniel
Winter and his sons owned the field of action between the two hills, the
ancestral home in the farmyard and the property at the Diamond Crossroads.
skirmish, the main leaders including James Wilson, Daniel Winter and James
Sloan needed to get away from the throng to plan and think. The first
embryonic meeting of the Orange Order as we know it took place in the
Winter ancestral home in the farmyard 200 yards from the Diamond
Crossroads. They needed a representative readily available to act for the
whole body. James Sloan was chosen as Secretary. He was an educated man, a
former Schoolmaster, who owned an Inn on the Main Street in Loughgall.
For further information on Dan Winter's Ancestral Cottage (Farmyard)
For further information on Dan Winter's Cottage at the Crossroads
The Diamond Memorial, situated on the Derryloughan Road, mid-way between the two Winter Cottages. The memorial was unveiled on 21st September 1995 to mark the centenary of the Battle of the Diamond.
© County Armagh Grand Orange Lodge 2008
Design and Development by Jim Reaney